Not only has school been on my mind, but also all this hype about Michael Phelps. For those of you reading who don't know... I am a HUGE Michael Phelps fan. I have been since the Athens games. Lately Michael has been in the media for a photo that has surfaced from a private party he attend 3 months ago. I have to say that over the past week I have been very upset. Not by the actions of Phelps, but by the actions of the media.(keep reading I will get into my feelings about the actual pic) Is this really the most important story in the country right now? I think not!!! Did we not just get a new President!! HELL YES WE DID!!! THANK GOODNESS!!!! Lets focus on the more important things in life like the economy and how Obama is going to clean up the mess that Bush left him with. Like I said before the picture was taken at a PRIVATE party and it should have stayed private. It makes me sick that a friend would do this to him. Like he has said in many interviews over the past week... "this week I have learned who my true friends and family are." A true friend wouldn't sell out a friend like that. What is the world coming to? People care about two things these days 1. MONEY 2. THEMSELVES.
Ok now onto the actual picture. Maybe it is the 23 year old college student in me but I am not disappointed in his actions. He has trained every single day for the majority of his life. His life has consisted of eating swimming for the most part. He has not had the opportunity to live his life and explore. He takes 6 months off after accomplishing something that no one in the world as EVER done. Mike is the only one who can say that he has won 8... count them 8!... gold medals in 1 olympics. He himself won more gold medals than some COUNTRIES!! HOLY SHIT! If that isn't something to be proud of then I don't know what is! So we praise him and raise him because of all his accomplishments and as quick as we do that we bring him back down. We are all human... NEWS FLASH... Human's make mistakes. He smoked a little pot. Yes, it is illegal, but so is underage drinking, downloading free music, speeding, jay walking, the list could go on. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE on Earth has broken they law sometime or another. Yes, some are more extreme than others, but it is still breaking the law. Leave the kid alone... let me see you train for 12 years of your life and see how you react when you finally get a break.
Onto the three month suspension. I don't think that it is all bad. They are treating Michael like he is a human who made a mistake and there are consequences that he has to face just like anyone else. I feel that Michael is taking this in a very mature fashion. He has admitted that indeed it was him in the picture, and he has taken the suspension and accepted the consequences of his actions. Had the suspension been much longer I may have felt differently (maybe that is because of the fact that Nationals are in July and I have my tickets and am ready to go!). I feel that all this negativity is just going to fuel him more and make him that much more ready to kick some ass at Nationals!!
Sorry this got so long. I have had all this built up inside me this week and I needed to get it out!! Hopefully I will post again soon!
jeah! agreed!
ReplyDelete